Sunday 17 July 2011

An overhaul before I go!

Packing and getting organised for a 'normal' trip abroad is bad enough, packing and preparing myself for this wild adventure is daunting - what if I forget the most important bit of kit required i.e. my machete, or even my electrical insulation tape?  Yes, both of these things are on my kit list!  I have decided to go for the dagger option for fighting off crocs though - I figure my fellow rowers would be in more danger if I carried a machete.  And the electrical insulation tape?  For taping up blistered hands, or prevention there of.  
That is the answer to all of this really - planning for prevention of anything untoward.
And to that end I have spent numerous evenings (and lots of cash) getting jabs, having my teeth checked, making sure my back is in order (osteopath), and generally buying lots of weird medical stuff that I normally wouldn't touch.
I am obviously trying to go for the most natural way of preventing anything, so have also been taking supplements that have been shown to help support the immune system against dodgy bacteria, and this week have been consuming a delicious cranberry smoothie that I am hoping may help along the same lines (cranberry has been shown in studies to decrease some bacterias adhering to the urinary tract lining).  So with only 7 days left I feel I have done everything possible to ensure I am ready.  It struck me this morning that surely this is how I should treat my body all the time?  It feels a little like before you sell your house you renovate it for the next person moving in - I have given my body a complete overhaul, now I just hope the croc doesn't want to take possession!


Cranberry and Strawberry Smoothie

Handful of strawberries*
Handful of frozen cranberries
1/2 mango, peeled
1 tsp honey
200ml oat or soya milk


Place everything into a blender and blend until smooth.


*If you have a good blender like a Vitamix, you can even leave the tops on the strawberries for added fibre.

No comments: