Saturday 17 December 2011

Christmas Crumble

It's not as if there isn't enough naughty food to eat at this time of year, but still I love to come up with my own creations.  And after making my own stollen and after that, stollen bread and butter pudding, I still had marzipan in the fridge waiting to be used.
There's nothing I like more than challenging myself to a Ready, Steady, Cook challenge - what can I make from what I have in the kitchen.  So here it is -

Christmas Crumble
Serves 6-8

125 g coconut oil
125 g wholemeal plain flour
150 g rolled oats
pinch ground cinnamon
125 g dark muscovado sugar
50 g pumpkin seeds
2 oranges
3 apples, cored and sliced
3 pears, cored and sliced
100 g marzipan, diced
3 tbsp mincemeat



  • Preheat the oven to 200C (400F) Gas Mark 6.
  • Place the coconut oil, flour, oats, cinnamon, muscovado sugar and pumpkin seeds in a food processor and process until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
  • Grate the zest of the oranges and blend into the crumble.
  • Place the apples and pears into a large oven-proof dish.  Segment the oranges over the dish to catch the juice, then stir in the orange segments with the marzipan and mincemeat.
  • Spoon over the crumble and bake for 30 minutes, until the crumble is golden.
  • Delicious served with creamy natural yoghurt.

No comments: