Monday 24 October 2011

Needing my greens!

You'd think that being a nutritionist and sportswoman  that my diet would be the healthiest ever, and on the whole it is.  But for the past few weeks I've been in the throws of writing an Italian recipe book and, as I believe all recipes should be thoroughly tested, it does mean there's an awful lot of eating to be done.
Today is a prime example - I do try to plan the recipes around my mealtimes, but sometimes there is just too much.  For my mid-morning break today I had apple and Parmesan tartlets - delicious, but not my normal piece of fruit and a few nuts snack.  Lunch was broccoli orecchietta followed by Zabaglioni.  And now I feel like having a siesta!  Of course the other problem is that each recipe needs to serve 4, so then there are leftovers, but the next day I have to start all over again.  My fridge is bulging at the seams!
Yesterday I felt I had just not had enough of my favourite greens (weirdly I probably could live on broccoli and cabbage!), so decided I had to have a green pick-me-up to boost myself.
You can add pretty much anything you like, but first decide if you want it to be sweet or savoury and then either add a little more fruit and some honey for sweet, or garlic and seasoning for savoury.
These are my favourite ingredients - 1 avocado, 1/2 cucumber, 1 apple, 1 stick of celery, 1 clove of garlic, freshly milled black pepper, sea salt, a small handful of fresh parsley and mint and enough water to give the thickness you want (if you want to make it creamier add a little natural yoghurt).  Put everything in a blender (if you have a Vitamix you don't even have to peel or core the apple), and pulse until smooth.  Drink immediately and feel your body soak up the goodness!

No comments: