Friday 31 December 2010

An Egyptian Christmas

Each year the build-up to Christmas is such an exciting time, with lots of parties, getting together with friends you haven't seen all year, and the excuse to go out and try new restaurants that normally you don't think you have time for.
This year was no exception, although the one restaurant I tried that I will not be re-visiting was Jamie's Italian in Westfield shopping centre.  It was as I had anticipated - a chain restaurant with very average food.  I have never understood the concept of eating in a restaurant that has a celebrity chef's name on it, unless of course you know he is cooking there at the time, and in this case I doubt he has ever even set foot in the place!
And, as with past years, as the great event of Christmas got ever nearer, I started hating all the consumerism that comes with it and just wanted to be away from it all.  So that's exactly what I did - I headed off to Egypt to sail down The Nile.
I had hoped that being away from all the festivities may also help me to be a little healthier than most at this time, but unfortunately with three meals a day being served buffet-style there was no chance of any weight loss, or indeed even maintaining the same weight!



It was interesting the reaction I got from practically everyone I spoke to when I mentioned where I was going - beware of getting the Egyptian equivalent of Deli Belly!  It was also interesting to hear of so many people falling ill over Christmas back in the UK.
When your body is under stress (Christmas cards, presents, shopping, parties, relatives visiting, office parties etc., etc.), your  immune system fails to work as it should, as it is busy making stress hormones to keep you going.  Then comes Christmas, and you relax, but the immune system hasn't got back on track yet and the first little bug you come into contact with knocks you down.  And if you are in a foreign country there are likely to be more little bugs your immune system does not recognise that may cause problems.

To ensure you can party through the whole festive season, or travel to remote places without falling ill, help keep your immune system healthy by eating a diet rich in good protein, high in antioxidants and B vitamins and by taking a probiotic supplement in anticipation!

Needless to say I have returned in good health, and amazingly all my clothes still fit.

No comments: