Saturday 20 November 2010

The Great Scottish Diet!

A couple of weeks ago I was lucky enough to have to visit Scotland, just for the day.  As founder of the charity Community Projects Africa, I was invited to visit a couple of schools in Scotland for whom we had organised a teacher exchange with teachers from Tanzania.
Three teachers from a balmy East African village arrived in Scotland on the coldest day we have had since last winter - luckily there were lots of offers of fleeces and hats!  They spent a week teaching in a village school, whilst in the evening they were shown what is on offer in the form of entertainment, with their favourite thing being watching football!
They were also offered typical Scottish foods - tablet, shortbread, Snowballs, plus lots more.  When I visited I was also treated to these things plus Taylors ice-cream, and the added bonus of a fish supper.  Hard to imagine that we live on the same huge island but that our tastes are so different - the highlight of the fish and chip supper was something I cannot believe even exists - Pizza Crunch - battered and deep-fried pizza!  Needless to say, I did not sample it!
When I asked the Tanzanian teachers what they thought of our food they commented that we eat far too much sugar.
My Scottish neighbour is a great baker and I often ask him to bake things for me - this week it was these beautiful shortbread biscuits, known as Empire Biscuits, which, as you would expect are hugely sweet, but very delicious.

No comments: