Sunday 18 July 2010

Tempting your Taste-buds

I am constantly asked if, after a hard day of cooking for photography shoots, I cook myself dinner when I get home.  My answer is always the same - I want to eat good, tasty food, so that naturally involves cooking great ingredients from scratch, which thankfully I find extremely relaxing anyway.
But something else that struck me this week is how important making food look good actually is, not only for a photograph.  Your digestion starts by food being broken down in your mouth by chewing, and by the enzymes in your saliva.  So getting your salivary juices flowing is very important, and this will not happen if you quickly open the fridge, put the box in the microwave then shovel the food in your mouth whilst standing leaning against the kitchen door.
There has to be a build up to the event, and cooking can do this.  But also how you present the food may help.  Often on shoots we get caterers to provide lunch, and nine times out of ten they provide paper plates and plastic cutlery.....instantly I am put off eating the food.  Transfer that food to a beautiful serving dish or plate, and it is transformed....it's a bit like respecting the food by serving it on something special.
This was brought home to me even more this week when we were shooting on location in a house that was full of French antiques, including crockery and kitchenware (the photograph on the left was taken in the kitchen).  Serving food on the crockery felt like I was making a piece of art!
And the other delight of a photography shoot - an abundance of food!  This time beautiful red peppers, which are one of my favourite things to eat.  Such a simple ingredient and so easy to turn them into something delicious - halve the peppers and take out the seeds and stalk, lay in a roasting tin, sprinkle with sliced garlic, chopped parsley, seasoning and olive oil and cook for about 20-30 minutes until softened.  Delicious served with grilled fish or a salad and nearly as quick as placing the box in the microwave!!
For more beautiful French antiques, go to www.josephineryanantiques.co.uk - the owner of the stunning house we were shooting in.

No comments: